- Designed and led the integration between the Hillrom cloud platform and Voalte Mobile to deliver patient vitals
- Designed and led the introduction of a centralized system bus
- Championed a refined long-term vision for the business unit
- Led a new cloud deployment initiative and implemented its SMS and tablet integrations
- Designed and led the next-generation, cross-product communication infrastructure
- Championed and oversaw the migration to containers
- Created an initiative to break down communication silos
As both a senior technical and people leader in a small company, I had a hand in almost all facets of engineering at Voalte, across platforms, disciplines, and software tiers.
- Served as initial client developer for the Voalte Platform
- Created the architecture for the Android apps
- Implemented large parts of the Android apps, including the foundations
- Provided technical direction for the other client developers
- Designed much of the communication protocols
- Managed several teams over 6 years
- One of two cross-functional server (Erlang) and client (Android, iOS and Web) teams tasked to deliver the first release of Voalte Platform
- The DevOps team, including infrastructure and tools
- The cross-functional SDK team, which I also created, to provide external APIs
- The cross-functional Diagnostics team, which I also created, to investigate field issues
- Led major initiatives
- Stabilization of early releases and introducing tools and methodology to improve robustness
- Overhaul of the Voalte directory to drastically improve performance and flexibility
- Driving important new capabilities, such as EMR integration, SSO, and hospital simulation
Since SRI is primarily a government contractor and works on a project-basis, this position provided me the opportunity to work on a wide array of new development projects of varying sizes, scopes, and nature.
- Tech lead on SIMON (Java, XML, Tomcat, Hibernate), a distributed platform for aggregation and analysis of Navy sensor data:
- Designed platform and a number of services
- Led platform team, which evolved the platform and implemented core services
- Led knowledge engineering team, which defined data models and APIs
- Led infrastructure team, which owned the build and test systems, and collaboration tools
- RDAS (Java, XML) – distributed system based on OSGi bundles in Apache Karaf; implemented search
- RATS (Python, BASH) – speech transcription system; helped productize what was a research project
- SCIL (Java, WSDL, JSON) – transcript analyzer; created web service frontend
I worked for ManTech’s Real-time Systems Laboratory, which developed primarily signal processing applications, and ancillary data management services.
- X-Midas (C, C++) – a signal processing platform; like a Matlab for Linux
- CCSI (Java, C++, Python, XML, HTML) – a data aggregation platform; distributed via services
- Team lead:
- RUFIS (C, Python, Perl, HTML, X-Midas script) – a signal processing service in a service constellation
- NSim (Java, XML/XSD, SQL) – distributed simulation platform; also designed and implemented initial release
Designed budget websites for local businesses and organizations while in grad school.
Focus areas: machine learning, computer networks, statistics
As part of a team, designed and implemented methods to create a robust communications channel over an unreliable wireless medium.
The bulk of my work was around connection management: responding to quickly to connection interruptions, buffering data, and re-establishing the connection.